HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Jeannie K. Yang" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 22:13:39 -0700
Again, a service for a colleague....

Jeannie K. Yang
http://www.wco.com/~genie/

-------------------------------

I have a paper I would like to read at the 1999 SHA Conference in Salt Lake
City, and am looking for a symposium to join. I presented the paper to a
small group at the 1997 Society for California Archaeology meetings in
Rohnert Park, and would like to expose it to a larger audience. If anyone
is interested in including this in their session, please contact me
off-list. Thank you.  --Grace Ziesing ([log in to unmask]).

Abstract:

Not Just Another Farmstead: History, Archaeology, and Memory at the
Bonfantes' Ranch

        The efficacy of an interdisciplinary approach to archaeology has
been well demonstrated over the past decade with a number of
ground-breaking projects. Archaeological investigations at the Bonfante
site have benefited from such an approach, particularly in the integration
of traditional historical research, archaeological excavation, and
extensive oral history. What emerges is a picture of not just another
farmstead, but of a personalized landscape with it's work and living spaces
well peopled. Such a well-rounded study of the Bonfantes' life and material
world not only allows for a full interpretation of the site itself, but
provides context and a comparative basis for investigations of other
farmsteads. The Bonfante site¾part of the Los Vaqueros Project in Contra
Costa and Alameda counties¾was a tenant farm carved out of the former Los
Vaqueros Mexican land grant and was occupied by the Bonfantes for the first
three decades of this century.

Grace H. Ziesing
Anthropological Studies Center
Sonoma State University Academic Foundation, Inc.