HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
SouthArc <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 17:12:12 -0400
Can someone on the list help me.  We have a client who has a historic (ca.
1880-1930) cemetery on their proposed construction site.  Many (at this
point still not determined how many)graves are unmarked, but there are known
descendants in the area for some burials.  We are in process of discovery of
grave locations and extent of cemetery through the usual combination of
methods (removal of sod, machine grading, remote sensing, surface inspection).

Problem is that although we have strongly recommended redesign and avoidance
(client has a large tract of land), they want to move the burials because
they feel costs associated with redesign will exceed those of moving
cemetery.  (I know--that's dubious reasoning).  What we would like to know
is whether there is someone who has been involved with moving a historic
cemetery who can talk to us or our client about the experience, problems,
public reaction, etc.  I know about the African-American cemetery in New
York cemetery but would like to talk to someone who is familiar with
something more like our client's case--this would have been a rural,
non-public cemetery--probably several local families.

                                        Thanks in advance--Lucy Wayne