From:
Robert MacKimmie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:14:02 -0800
On Tue, 02 Feb, 1999, John Edwards compiled and included in a post:

Ted Fischer:

I mentioned that 8.75 was correct and someone informed me of the obvious -
that the 8.75 copy is paperback, therefore the cost.

And the heart of John's commment:
>>> BTW, they (with another large book chain) have just succeeded
>>> in closing down all the medium-sized home-grown bookstores in Tucson.

I received several other disgruntled comments about big bruiser book chains
and I have to admit that I also have a bit of distaste for other consuming
chains that eliminate the small to medium independent business citizens.

While not assuming a soapbox, this whole subject reminds me that we, as
specialty honey producers, are like the businesses being crushed and replaced
by Starbucks, Microsoft, etc. While understanding that this, along with huge
mergers, is just a successful formula for corporate success in the late
'90s, I will refocus my efforts to support smaller businesses in recognition
that I am asking the public to support my specialized honey experience, and
not a homogenized/pasteurized version. I just wanted to put in my two cents
about doing my part to help shape the future by what I do as a consumer. I
sense a segment of the public that recognizes and supports this concept of
unique services and that is likely where our audience of support will be
found in the future.

Sorry to be partially off-topic, but I partially created the issue.