From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:25:45 -0400
Mark Gosswiller wrote:

> Being fairly new to beekeeping I've got a couple of questions:
>
>         2.  If I need to help them along before we start having freezing
> weather, Can I feed them warmed up crystalized honey in         quart   jars
> through a entrance feeder?
>
>         3. Is storing my supers on top the active hives over the winter a
> good idea?  Is this causing too much room for them to keep      warm?

I'd like to comment on your questions 2 & 3, if I may.

2. Don't use good honey for winter feed.  Use 1:1 sugar syrup instead.  It's
much cheaper and makes perfectly good feed.  In cold weather don't use the
entrance feeder.  Use zip-lock plastic bags (gallon size), fill 3/4 full and
lay them over the top bars, then cut one or a few slits with a razor blade on
the top surface, and cover the whole thing with an empty super.  It works
great!

3. Don't store supers over your hives when you have the mite strips in.
Otherwise you can store them over the inner cover, and the bees will not have
to warm them.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA