From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 1998 18:13:24 -0500
Hi Jassim, All:

Garth wrote:

>rapidly learn that humans are bad and to stay 100m
>away from any that happen to be nearby. They also learn very fast
>what a gun is - and stay far away from anybody who happens to have
>one on them.

We know nothing about Dronga or bee eaters.  But we know about birds that
eat things.  We have tried the tried and true scarecrows; we have tried the
bird tape that you string between two posts and the wind causes a weird
noise.  Keep away the little birds that don't do a whole lot of damage.

Realized the wild turkeys that were eating all of our blackberries also
recognized a human with a gun.  Got the old T post for a body, one of
Dave's flannel shirts and a pair of Dave's old jeans (neither having been
laundered, don't know if this is important)  and a full head Halloween
mask.  Stuffed everything with straw til it was solid and big, including
the head.  Put a hat on him.  AND gave him a child's toy rifle (about 3
feet long).  Last year the turkeys ate every berry as soon as it was ripe,
this year we have a freezer full of blackberries.  We also moved the guy to
the 1/2 acre sunflower patch we planted for the bees.  Kept the crows away.
 Moved him to the corn when it was ripe and gave him a radio - kept the
raccoons away.

(Still haven't heard how the old guy is that was driving by when Dave had
the scarecrow in the bed of the truck and was moving him to the berries)

Might this help for Dronga?

Judy in Kentucky, USA