From:
Peter Barrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:15:22 -0800
Cesar, I live in the Blue Mountains 80 kilometres west of Sydney
Australia. About 2 months ago I moved two hives into my front yard.
They're well screened on 3 sides by trees so they have a people safe
flight path. My neighbour enjoys an evening drink on his front step which
is but 15 metres from the bees. One hive is just a swarm with no surplus
of honey, the other is in three 8 frame full depth boxes, plenty of
honey, more coming in daily. My neighbour complained to me last week of a
pungent odour which he believed came from my front yard. It was so
overpowering that he and visiting friends found it very unpleasant. He
spotted a compost bin only a metre from the hives, so thought it guilty.
I explained that it was empty so therefore could not be the cause of his
distress. He had already ruled out the cause being a dead cat or possum -
he'd sarched and found none. Now to think the heavenly perfume of bees
curing their nectar into honey at dusk and into the night could have
any association with the smell of the decomposing body of a cat is beyond
my belief. I shall have to move the big hive and keep the
swarm.