From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:27:56 -0500
Christopher Slade wrote:

> Vince,
> I agree with your comment about the queens' genes and selection for the
> appropriate destination.  However, I do not agree with your comment about
> treating bees with antibiotic.  The point is that you are not treating the
> bees but the bacteria.  By doing so you are subjecting them to a strong
> selective pressure.  While bees will have about one generation a year in which
> to evolve, the generations of bacteria are measured in minutes .......

Hello Christopher,

        I think we are talking about different things. I was only referring to
the selection of bees for resistance to a disease such as AFB.
        As to the selection of resistant bacteria, I agree. The last time I
spoke to Dr. Shiminuki about antibiotic use for AFB, he recommended it
be used as a prophylactic treatment only. My understanding of this sort
of treatment is to check infection at times of the year they are likely
to occur, spring and fall. At these times of year there may be weak or
dead colonies that harbor AFB spores and be robbed. If antibiotic has
been used to "cure" colonies then AFB symptoms may recur at any time of
year. I think this could lead to resistant bacteria. Actually I'm
surprised this has not happened till recently, and perhaps it has not
happened, there may be another explanation for the resistant strains.
        Personally, I follow the recomendations, spring and fall treatment.
I've kept bees for over 25 yrs, commercial numbers for at least 15 yrs,
and have had only 4 colonies show AFB symptoms and they were burned. Of
course the AFB experts know how to cure these cases with antibiotics,
just ask them the do it all the time.