From:
Ahlert Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:04:17 +0100
Hallo, beefriends!
I have read the comments on bees seeking for salts. Let me make a short
comment:
Bees do have a nerve system and the requirements for proper function of
that nerves are around 100 mM NaCl within the bee body.
Plants do have only limited concentrations of NaCl available, since
higher concentrations of NaCl ar toxic to plants. Thus KCl is the major
plant component, not NaCl. I speculate that bees raising thousands of
new bees will need an appropiate amount of NaCl in oder to meet the
requirements of the brood.
Since the Na of plants is shifted towards K, Na has to be added for good
develeopment, even for good development of cattle.
I did not find such suggestion im my bee books, however ist seems to me
obvious, that bees can not circumvent the NaCl requirement for proper
nerve function.
Ahlert Schmidt
Professor of  Botany