From:
Steve Newcomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Dec 1998 15:03:16 -0500
Jeff and all:

Yours is an interesting idea.  But I think you need to look at the
economics of the situation:

Overwinter bees:
Apistan, spring and fall, 8 strips at $1.75 ea. = $14.00
Fumidal-B, 1/2 bottle/hive, $11.00/bottle       =  $ 5.50
Terramycin, dusting, no sugar included        = $ 4.50
Mite-a-thol, pre-packed                       = $ 3.00

TOTAL                                           $27.00 per hive

Buy Bees each Spring:
3# package bees with queen:                        =$35.00
Shipping                                       =$ 9.00(?)

TOTAL                                             $41.00 per hive

My harvest averaged 120# per hive this year, based 2 hives started from
swarms.  I did not use Terramycin this year, and my meds cost $.142/pound
of honey harvested.  If I had, using the above prices, my meds would have
cost $.225/pound.

If I had averaged 105# per hive (your average) from new hives started from
3# packages, the bees would have cost me $.390/pound of honey harvested.
If I had harvested my same 120# per hive with new bees, it would have cost
me $.312/pound of honey.

If the $.165/pound higher cost is offset by your feeling better about not
using medications, then go for it.  A hobbiest would probably be able to
justify the higher expense due to the smaller number of hives, and may be
able to get a higher price for honey that comes from non-medicated hives.
However, I doubt a commercial beekeeper would be able to justify the added
expense.

You also have to look at your bees in relationship to the environment
around you.  Are there other hives in you area that may suffer greater
infections because of your non-medicated bees?  When I got my hives, it was
STRONGLY suggested to me that I treat faithfully as another beekeeper has
her hives about 1 mile away.

Merry Christmas to all

Steve Newcomb
Elyria, Ohio
where winter hit with a vengence Monday night.