From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 09:32:50 -0400
Steve Newcomb wrote:

> This is my first winter with bees.  I mixed about 6 gallons of
> Fumidil/sugar water mixture, per package directions, 2 weeks ago.  I put 1
> 1/2 gallons on each of my 4 hives.
> The bees are not taking the syrup.  After reading other posts to this list,
> I expected them to have taken at least a gallon per hive.  The best one has
> only taken about a half gallon, and the worst only a cup or two.

As you indicated in your original post, the fall honey flow may well still be
on in your area (Ohio).  Bees won't bother with anything else if nectar is
coming in fast.  Also, did you check the amount of room available for syrup
storage?  If your brood chambers are well filled with honey, there might not
be any room to put the syrup.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA