From:
T & M Weatherhead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 08:06:27 PST
Andy wrote:-

> Of course I would expect this to be in the next generations as our worker
> bees have no fathers just grandfathers, so it has been written so it must
> be true.

I think Andy means drones and not workers.  Workers have a father.

> What we can change and is missed by most bee keepers and many bee breeders
> is Stock Selection for Drones. Most beekeepers seem to realize that the
> selection of breeder queens is critical in improving stock and many make
> much effort in testing many queens to find that one breeder queen to use in
> grafting. I believe that the same effort should be spent in finding drone
> mother queens and some do make an effort but all should do more.

Beekeeping is one of the few animal industries where there is not a great emphasis on the male line.  Bulls, rams and stallions always command a greater price compared to cows, ewes and mares.  Maybe it is because bulls and the like can be easily inspected and their progeny can be tested for performance.  With bees, there is no control over open mating so I believe that the selection of drones has been overlooked.  It is a bit like the bull from next door coming over.  Your get a calf so what.

It is also worthy of note that not all "prize" bulls, rams or stallions perform to expectation.  Many end up in cans of pet food because they did not produce the desired off spring.  With our queen bees, most expect that all will perform.  In the same way that many horses brought as yearlings, which have been bred from the best genetic stock, never make it to the race track so I believe it is for queen bees.  Just nature at work.

Trevor Weatherhead
AUSTRALIA