From:
Dr Max Watkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:41:35 +0100
Hi Tom,

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Computer Software
Solutions Ltd <[log in to unmask]> writes
>Hello All
>
>I was talking with a beekeeper friend today. He is not on the internet and
>he asked me to put the following question.
>
>What effects if any has the use of Bayvarol and Apistan on the Acarine mite
>- acarapis woodi?

Neither product has any real effect on Acarapis; you need to use a
vapour-producing treatment.

>He is presently putting Bayvarol strips into some of his hives to combat
>acarine.
>
>He does not yet have varroa. I heard that it is not advisable to use a
>varroa treatment when varroa is not present, and told him so.

Yes, I agree. Why waste money treating if there's nothing to treat? Even
if there are 1 or 2 mites why treat? Eventually you may need to but
until it's at a threatening population level, why bother?

>He is also putting methylsalicylate into his hives, by soaking a piece of
>absorbent material in the methylsalicylate, tieing this on the end of a
>stick and pushing this into the hive entrance to combat acarine also.

No comment, except it's dangerous and illegal.

--
Dr Max Watkins
Director, Vita (Europe) Limited, UK