From:
Paul Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:54:45 -0700
At 12:35 -0500 8/25/98, Dale Q. Marmaduke wrote:

>What are the techniques currently being used with Formic Acid.

I have a pamphlet on it somewhere which was written by some Canadian
beekeepers. Basically, the method was to cut squares of homasote board and
soak them with FA. Homasote is a product very similar to acoustic suspended
ceiling tile and comes in 1/2 inch thick sheets. This is from my memory of
reading the brochure last year, so I'm not sure of the amounts and sizes. I
believe the Homasote was cut into 4x4 inch squares. Each square was sealed
in a zip-lock sandwich bag with a measured solution of formic acid. After
the FA is absorbed, the homasote square is placed in a zip-lock produce
bag, which come perforated with many tiny holes. The perforated bag
containing the saturated board and that is then placed in the hive.

If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can find the exact recipe.

Paul