HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 14:52:50 -0500
Bob,

I would endorse including avocational and related societies, museums, and
historic property organizations in the SHA under a special membership. There
are two candidate organizations here in San Diego that would qualify:

1.  The Fort Guijarros Museum Foundation is a co-sponsor of the Long Beach
meeting. I am Executive Director, a co-founder, and author of the By Laws,
which provided for delegate seats on the board of directors for the Casa de
Espana, San Diego Historical Society, Canoneers, Peninsula Chamber of
Commerce and San Diego County Archaeological Society and seven other general
members. This organization is staffed by retired professionals, who operate a
computer archaeology lab and underground HVAC collections management center
for 262,000 artifacts. All the staff were among the archaeology field crew
who dug the 18th century Spanish fort, 19th century whaling station and
Chinese fishing camp, and early 20th century U.S. Army post. They have
exhibits on the U.S. Naval Base Point Loma, a publication series, and and a
Young Archaeology Program.

2.  The San Diego County Archaeological Society (SDCAS) is also a co-founder
of the SHA Long Beach meeting. I am retiring off the board of directors. This
a 25-year old organization that assists federal, state and local governments
conduct survey and test excavation for management purposes. They also do
monthly free public lectures, have several field trips, a publication series,
museum exhibits, and docent tours of the 1859 Los Penasquitos Adobe. The
SDCAS conducted historic archaeology investigations there in the 1980s and
embraces historic archaeology.

These organizations are both members of the SAA avocational committee, but it
does not seem to serve any purpose.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.