HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Timothy J. Mancl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Nov 2000 23:49:58 -0500
Hi List,

    I'm looking to date nails I've found in a brick wall.  They are cut nails
with heads made of lead.  The lead part appears to have been formed by
stamping.  Viewed from the top, they look like rosehead nails.  The base of
the head is of the same shape.  At the center of one side of the head is a
narrow tab about half an inch long.  The tabs have either the word "ENGLAND"
or "FRANCIS" stamped on them in raised lettering.
    I am guessing that the tab is used to hold a viney plant in place, with
the whole assembly (nail and head) being used instead of a trellis.  The nail
and head may have come as a single unit, but they may have been sold
separately as similar hooks and holders for wiring, etc., are today (the wall
also has in it later nails and holders that resemble contemporary hardware).
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Tim Mancl
Hagley Fellow
University of Delaware