HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:15:35 -0400
In a message dated 6/27/2000 6:32:05 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Bob Schulyler wrote:
 "Post cards are a very important source for historical archaeology of the
 late 19th (looking backwards) and 20th centuries, especially the earlier
 local images of stores, home, street scapes and public buildings."

Irene Jackson Henry, RA, NCARB, replies:

 Funny, where I come from this is not historical archaeology but
 architectural history...

It certainly is that, too, but the historical archaeologist must deal with it
all in order to understand the context and the broader picture.  If you
always looks at just a tree, how could you even know you were in a forest?  I
have always been a generalist and am attracted to the field of archaeology
and historical archaeology, in particular, because of its eclectic nature and
the fact that virtually anything and everything in this world has the
potential, in some way, to contribute to our attempt to better understand
history and human behavior.

Mike Polk
Sagebrush Consultants, L.L.C.
Ogden, Utah