Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 1999 18:23:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (3 lines)
Our email has been down for a few days so I am just back to histarch.  I understand someone is looking for information on historical archaeology in Puerto Rico and Panama.  In Panama, the major work is being done by Patronato Panama Viejo at the Panama Viejo Site and Beatriz Rovira has replied regarding that work.  Albert Mauncy and J. A. Gagliano of the National Park Service prepared a report of Spanish Colonial Sites in the Canal Zone dated 1958 and entitled "Historic Sites Report: Spanish Colonial Sites in the Panama Canal Zone."  A second report of sites in the Canal Zone was prepared by Vic Carbone of the NPS in 1977 entitled "Cultural Resources in the Panama Canal Zone."  One of those sites was Fort San Lorenzo - there is an article on Fort San Lorenzo in the 1967 volume of Historic Preservation [19(2):80-83] by K. B. McCurdy which references and shows excavations at the site by Hale Smith of Florida State - however, I contacted FSU at the time we were preparing the historic preservation plan for the US Army South in Panama and was told there was no report of these excavations in their files.  Archaeological survey in the area of San Lorenzo by Steve Gaber of Temple University identified several later historical sites most likely associated with the town of Chagres - Gaber's thesis is entitled "An Archaeological Survey of the Panama Canal Area, 1979."  The Gatœn Trenches are located on a hill overlooking the present location of the Gatœn dam, this series of trenches is adressed by Mauncy and Gagliano and are considered to be ca. 1750 Spanish defensive works guarding Fort Gatœn on the Cagres River.  They are documented by E. Webster in a 1971 paper entitled "Las Trinchuras de Gatœn" - Actas del II Simposium Nacional de Antropologia, Arquoogia y Ethnohistoria de Panama. 

In Puerto Rico, Steve Bryne and I have an article on an urban project we wrked on in San Juan in the 1992 "Historical Archaeology" [26(1)] entitled "Socio-Economics and Trade in Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico: Observations from the Ballaja Archaeological Project."  An excellent summary of the work at Ballaja is presented by Mark Barnes and Norma Medina entitled "Ballaj‡: Arqueolog’a de un Barrio Sanjuanero" available from the Puerto Rican Office of Historic Preservation in San Juan.  There have been a number of projects with historical archaeological site discoveries or evaluations sponsored by the Jacksonville District of the US Army Corps of Enigineers - David McCollough is the contact there - the most notable of these is probably Mark Swanson and Prentice Thomas's 1986 report "Archaeological Excavations at Hacienda Ana Maria (PO33), Ponce, Puerto Rico" which presents the excavations of a sugar hacienda. Louis Berger Associates of New Jersey have recently completed excavations within historic wall fill deposits in old San Juan.  Another very useful study of excavations within the trash deposits which occur behind the city walls is Carlos Sol’s' "Colonial Archaeology of San Juan de Puerto Rico: Excavations at the Casa Rosa Scarp Wall, San Juan National Historic Site, Puerto Rico" (1988) prepared by the University of Alabama.  If I can be of further assistance please contact me off-list.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2