HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 18:36:21 -0400
My name is George J. Myers, Jr. I have excavated what I think is a pit inside
a dwelling in Skagway, Alaska. It was a pit that has been classified as a
privy pit after the cabin was moved 50' away from it, and indeed it was used
as that in that a modern house had a pipe out to it. The residents of the
cabin were an old riverboat captain Moore and his son and his new bride a
Tlingit woman. To this day I think it is a pit they dug below the floor of
the cabin as I have seen in early Russian cinema depicting the perils of
Alaskan dwelling.

There are also storage pits that were created by the Montaukett on the East
end of Long Island.

Both "facts" have been published and I await further communications.

Also Western civ started in "silage" the ability to store (and change I might
add thereby preserving) grains and other perishables to use with the
domestication of animals and to provide surplus for humans, possibly. This
silage began underground and was a practice said to exist right into the 17th
and 18th century and archaeologists should know better.