HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Donna Stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Donna L Stubbs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 1999 23:20:30 -0700
Dear Listservers (and apologies for cross posting):

My name is Donna Stubbs and I am a graduate student at the Univ of Minn.
I am currently taking an archaeology theories and methods seminar.  For
my class project I would like to (unscientifically) survey practicing
archeologists.  The goal is to determine how much (or how little) theory
determines methods and practices in a real project.  If anyone
interested could please respond to the following questions off list, I
would appreciate your input.

1)  What is your personal theoritical viewpoint in archaeology? (I.E.
processualist, post-processualist, functionalist, structuralist, etc.)

2)  Briefly describe in two or three sentences an archaeological project
you have been involved in.  What were some of the questions you were
attempting to answer for this project?

3)  Were your questions formatted or determined in any way by your
theoretical viewpoint?

4)  What methods did you use to answer your questions?  (I.E.
ethno-history, experimental archaeology, symbolic interpretation, etc.)
Were these methods determined in any way by your theoretical viewpoint?

5)  Has the practical aspects of working on an archaeological project
changed your theoretical viewpoint?

6)  Has the results of your project changed your theoretical viewpoint?

Again, I would appreciate any and all input.  Any questions can be sent
to me on or off list.  Thanks

Donna Stubbs