HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Michael Meyer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:40:52 -0700
Linn Gassaway wrote:

>      We are trying to find out about a Nathan Dohrmann Co., San Francisco.
>      We found a white-improved earthenware plate/bowl fragments with green
>      trademark -- 'VITRIFIED' beneath fragmented lion motif; 'JOHN MADDOCK
>      & SONS LTD','ENGLAND', 'PANAMA', 'NATHAN DOHRMANN CO', 'SAN
>      FRANCISCO'.
>
>      We have identified John Maddock & Sons, Staffordshire Potteries, ca.
>      1896+, but we have been unable to find anything on Nathan Dohrmann Co.
>
>      Thank you
>      Linn Gassaway
>      Archaeologist
>      Yosemite National Park

Examples of Nathan Dohrmann & Co marked ceramic sherds were recovered
from the Cypress Freeway Replacement Project in Oakland.  Nathan
Dohrmann & Co was listed in San Francisco directories from 1887 to
1895.  That was the date range we used on our examples.   Geoffrey
Godden was contacted regarding his published dates for Maddock marks.
Dates were changed for two of the published marks.  The date range for
mark #2466 is ca.1876-1903 (note: Maddock & Co [not Sons]).  The date
range for mark #2467 is ca.1891+.  Mark #2467 with the words
"Staffordshire Potteries" instead of "England" dates from the
1870s-1880s, presumed to be for the American or overseas market.

Michael Meyer
Sonoma State University Anthropological Studies Center