HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Rutherford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:25:29 GMT
>we're looking for sources of information on dugout canoes: their distribution,
>construction, dating, etc.: anything and everything at this stage -
>        many thanx in advance
>
>geoff carver
>http://home.t-online.de/home/gcarver/

Hi ye,

Members of IUART in North and South of Ireland found remains of a dug out canoe
in the Coyle river near Downpatrick in the early 90s, dendro showed it to be
one of the oldest in Ireland.

In 1994 a river survey organised and carried out by sports divers from
IUART, was looking for remains of a bridge, that Archaeologists said "was
none" found not only a bridge but a number of dug out canoes, six in total.
One of these canoes contained two axe heads (iron)as well as a wet stone.

One of the dugouts survives to a length of 283cms, with a surviving width of
57cms. the iron axe head that was found in the bottom was medieval and used
as a wood working tool.

These finds came from the river Clonmacnoise in the Rep, of Ireland.