HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
m s cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
m s cassell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 23:06:45 -0600
Folks:

In the spirit of Mark Branstner's post:

I note that there have been numerous and worthy responses to the post of a
few weeks back regarding a request for papers on a session being organized
for the SHA 2000 meetings on global landscapes of industrial labor.  The
papers (with one exception) deal with North America, and I would very much
like to incorporate into the session more and other places not in North
America.  I stress that (as the HISTARCH list is acutely aware) history and
archaeology share many of the same databases, and are consequently very
kindred disciplines.  I thus respectfully request that people on HISTARCH
forward this note to whatever other lists they deem appropriate.  The
original post (more or less) ran as follows:

I am interested in organizing a session at the Society for Historical
Archaeology meetings in Quebec in 2000 entitled something like, "History and
Archaeology of Industrial Labor
Development: Landscapes of Change on a Global Scale".  I here solicit
prospective presenters in this session.

Papers would discuss regional / national / local processes and places which
document material attempts of industrial interests to use the built
environment in efforts to shape social groups into industrial laborers in
the 18th-20th centuries.  The built environment and landscapes can include
factories, agriculture, mining, towns, etc; be creative!  The locations or
processes discussed in the session can and should span the globe, and thus
represent in some way the consistencies and variabilities occuring in the
expansion of capitalism and
industrialization around the world.

I can be reached at  [log in to unmask]

Thanks much!