HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 14:55:36 -0500
Michele Lorenzini and I are currently finalizing a paper on Man-in-the-Moon
beads which should be published in the near future.  While these beads are
relatively scarce, they are found scattered over the Northeast and Midwest
on sites of the 1670-1760 period.  The Pensacola specimens are only the
second find of these beads that I know of in the Southeast; the other site
being Old Mobile.  You state that the decoration is "gold."  Do you mean
gold-colored glass?  This is unusual; all the other examples we have seen
have had opaque white decoration.  The Mobile beads also had designs that
differed from those of specimens from the Northeast. It is hard to tell
which designs your specimens have on the basis of the image that
accompanied your posting.  We have yet to determine who produced the beads
or what they represent.