HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Chris Clement <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 May 1998 08:25:20 -0400
Chris--

IMHO, digital images can complement standard photos, but not replace them.
I have a colleague who, at my suggestion, is using a digital camera (and an
SLR) pretty extensively to record petroglyphs here in the state.  The SLR
images are for publication and archives, while the digital images go in his
notes to help jog his memory.  He also shares those images via web pages
and email with colleagues in other parts of the country.

As for me, I bring a digital camera when I look at other people's
collections.  Again, I find that the image, while not up to publication
standards, is worth a thousand words in my notes.  If I brought a laptop
into the field, I'd definitely bring a digital camera along too.

Chris Clement