HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Cathy Spude <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 1997 08:56:33 -0500
     James:

     I vaguely remember a number of references to Jew's harps on fur
     trading sites in the American West. In particular I think of Fort
     Colville, now in Idaho, excavated by someone from the University of
     Idaho (I don't think it was Roderick Sprague), Fort Vancouver in
     Washington (probably Lester Ross or Bryn Thomas), and Bent's Old Fort,
     now in Colorado (dug first by Jackson "Smokie" Moore, and later by
     Doug Comer). I purchased a reproduction from the trade store in the
     reconstruction of the latter fort. We folks out west tend to forget
     there was a Civil War, so I had always associated these artifacts with
     the early 19th century fur trade.

     Cathy Spude
     NPS
     Santa Fe