HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 11:48:22 -0400
From:
Wayne Neighbors <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
RE:  "for the indigenous population of Hawai'i"

Not sure how you define this.

When I lived on Oahu - part of the time on the leeward and part of the
time on the windward sides - for about two years, the census figures
indicated that "white" was an extremely small minority - mostly
tourists. Being "white" I was often the recipient of "prejudice" and
"discrimination."  Served me right.

The "north shore" of Oahu was a world unto itself - mostly those who
had come to Hawai'i to surf and just dropped out of society. Yes there
were other there then, but that was most noticeable.

The vast majority on Oahu were of Japanese ancestry, lesser of Chinese
ancestry, some Samoan, and clusters from many other pacific islands..

There were - even in 1970 - attempts in public schools to
re-acculturate students with "Hawai'i" history and heritage. One had
to go to other islands to find any significant populations that
identified themselves (self-identification) as "Hawai'ian.

I am in touch (mostly by email) with some who do identify themselves
today as Hawai'ian - even if their genealogy is part Japanese, Chinese
and/or Samoan.

I then thought of "Hawai'ian" as the population in place at or prior
to the first visit of Cook.

I spent time doing research at the Bishop Museum, which you realize is
more about cultures of the Pacific other than Hawai'i - at least in
1970-1972 - than about Hawai'i itself. Perhaps that was a bias of the
then curators and what they put on display for the tourists. I have
been told that has changes a lot - including the legislature
designating Bishop as "the national museum" of Hawai'i but not funding
it.

I also spent time in the sugar cane and pineapple fields with a wide
range of individuals that "tilled the soil" (mostly  did irrigation
control and harvesting). Most that I met identified themselves as of
Samoan or Japanese ancestry.

It was difficult to find those that actually asserted Hawai'ian
ancestry - other than some students in a few schools perhaps at the
junior high and high school levels.

I also spent time at the University of Hawaii and Chaminade (sp?).
Most of the faculty then was "white" or Japanese in heritage.  There
was a lesser, but noticeable part of the faculty that self-identified
themselves with Chinese heritage.

All of this, as you probably know from history, relates back to much
earlier intentional importation of laborers.

I think "black" by census figures was less than 1/10th of 1 percentage
about 1970.

Has this changed?

On what basis today do individuals self-identify themselves as
"Hawai'ian"?

Warm regards,

Wayne Neighbors, Ph.D.
President, Vee Ring Ltd