HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Leandro Sánchez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 09:50:59 +0100
Here is one message from Lester Ross (24/11/98), about this matter.

First, the SHA Publication Style Guide can be found at:
    http://www.sha.org/ha_style.htm

Second, and unfortunately, there are no online SHA guidelines for
electronic sources.  Almost two years ago,
subscribers of HISTARCH drafted a set of proposed revisions for
electronic sources to the style guide (see below).
These proposed revisions were submitted to the SHA, but I have not
heard if the editorial staff subsequently made
final revisions.  If they have, it would be a good idea to post them to
the SHA style guide web page.

For what it's worth, the suggested revisions may be of help.

Proposed Revision for the “Publication and Style Guide for Historical
Archaeology” (Historical Archaeology, 1996,
30[3]:102-120)

Revision to Section 3.6.1 Reference Citations in Text

23. Citation of electronic sources and communications on the
Internet—For electronic sites, or for pages within a
site, use author’s last name or institutional name and date (Clouse
1996).  For personal
electronic communications, use author’s full name and date of
communication: (Lester A. Ross 1997, elec. comm.);
and secure written or electronic permission to cite these
communications (see Section 2.2).

For online text of published works and archival documents, cite and
reference these sources the same as previously
described in Sections 3.6.1.1-22, remembering to include Internet
address at the end of the
reference (see Section 3.6.3.46 below).

Revision to Section 3.6.3 Sample References

46. Electronic Sources, found on the Internet (World-Wide Web, FTP, and
Gopher sites and pages; Listserv, Usenet
Group, and E-mail communications): Because of the lack of archivability
of original
electronic sources, it is incumbent that scholar's referencing these
sources maintain a copy of the information as
cited, treating these copies as personal papers.  Electronic sources
are referenced using
the following general format:

Author's Last name, First Name and Initial <Author's Internet Address>
Year or n.d.     Title of Site/Page, or Subject of Message <Internet
Address>.  Institution, City (if known). Date of
site/page creation/update, or date of message.

For online text of published works and archival documents, cite and
reference these sources the same as previously
described in Sections 3.6.3.1-45, with the addition of the Internet
address at the end of the
reference.

Electronic Sites/Pages

World-Wide Web, Original Works

Clouse, Robert A.
1996   American Fur Company District Headquarters, Mendota, Minnesota,
USA; Minnesota Historical Society,
Archaeology, Excavations On-line
<http://www.umn.edu/marp/dig/site1.html>.

World Wide Web, Published or Archived Works

Ogden, Peter Skene
1909 Peter Skene Ogden's Snake Country Journal, 1825-1826.  Originally
published in the Quarterly of the Oregon
Historical Society 10(4)
<http://www.xmission.com/~drudy/mtman/html/ogdn2526.html>.

FTP

Edwards, Dean
1994   Shamanish-General Overview-Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
<fttp://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/pub/Papers/shaman_FAQ>.  19 April 1994.

Gopher
Lovell, Margaretta, and Dell Upton <[log in to unmask]>
1994   Syllabus for Theory and Practice of Material Culture, Anth 279X,
Departments of Architecture and History of
Art, University of California, Berkeley.
<gopher://gopher.inform.umd.edu:70/00/EdRes/Colleges/ARHU/Dept/AmericanStudies/MatCulture/Syllabi/upton>.

11 October 1994.

In-text citations for electronic sites/pages: (Author Date)

Electronic Communications

Listserv
Steen, Carl <[log in to unmask]>
1997   Re: Button marks - help. <[log in to unmask]>.  22
January 1997.

Usenet Group

Legg, Sonya. <[log in to unmask]>
1994   African history book list.  In Usenet Group
<soc.culture.african>.  5 September 1994.

E-mail

Ross, Lester A. <[log in to unmask]>
1997   Book Review Reply and Glass Beads. Personal communication to
Brooke Arkush <[log in to unmask]>.
24 January 1997.

In-text citations for electronic communications: (Author’s Full Name
Date, elec. comm.)