HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Daniel H. Weiskotten" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 17:24:05 -0500
Bill Lockheart wrote:
>Although I have remained silent, I have been very interested in the
>commentary on assemblage dates and would like to use some of the
>thoughts in an archaeological report.  Would it be ethically proper
>and technically correct to cite any postings on HISTARCH?  Should
>each individual be approached for permission to cite a posting?

Bill:
        A little while ago there were some examples of how to make reference to
sources that appear on the internet.  Unfortunately I am not really sure if
they were here on HISTARCH, or on ARCH-L which is another listservice for
archaeologists.  I didn't save them, but hopefully someone else did and can
aprise us of the format.
        As for seeking permission, I assume (I know, the ass-you-me thing) that
this is a public forum and therefore what goes on it is public domain
(perhaps I am wrong about that?).  Any info herein could be used as you
would use any other source you find useful for illustrating your point.
The only thing is to be able to leave a trail back to your sources and
follow the proper protocol for citation and credit to whomever is due the
credit (list name and address and the author of the comment.)  All of this
stuff is archived somewhere for just that purpose.
        No good can come from a workable theory if no one puts it to use.
        Dan W.