HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
SKIP STEWART-ABERNATHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:30:45 CDT
Hi.  I've found just one unambiguous cache.  I was looking for a 1670s
house in Rehoboth Mass in about 1975.  Turns out that occupation was
buried by spoil from digging out a full cellar for an mid 1700s house.
That mid 1700s house burned on Christmas Eve (about 1920?--can't quite
remember).  A test unit that went to the bottom of the cellar found the
charred remains of a wooden "coke"-type crate full of Clicquot Club
bottles, all pointing mouth down.  All were crazy-cracked from fire of
course.  My informant, who was in the house when it caught fire, said
the bottles had been washed and were being stored for refilling with
home-made "beverage".  According to the informant, (Azorean-American
Catholic, by the way) everybody he knew did the same thing with a
variety of soda bottles.Now that's caching.  Good luck.

Leslie C. Stewart-Abernathy
Arkansas Archeological Survey
Arkansas Tech University
Russellville, AR