HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 07:36:17 EDT
From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
This is for both Jeanne and Jack --  James Atkinson and Jack Elliott published
a nice report on a brick factory in Mississippi  a few years back that sounds
a lot like yours (Jack). "Nance's Ferry: a 19th century Brick and Lime Making
Site." Dept. of Anthropology, Mississippi State Univ. Starkville, MS. Karl
Gurcke's book--"Bricks and Brickmaking" (Univ. of IDaho) is probably the best
all around source. Lucy Wayne did her dissertation on brickmaking in the
Charleston SC area (Univ. of Fla) and has an article in the recent U. of Tenn.
Press book "Carolina's Historical Landscapes" Stine et al, editors. She is on
the list, so I am sure you'll hear from her soon. Also, Francis Celoria edited
an 1850 work called " A Rudimentary Treatise on the Manufacture of Bricks and
Tiles" Journal of Ceramic History No. 5 (1971). Read these and you'll know it
all!

Finally, it sounds to me like you have a brick factory rather than a clamp
site. Clamps and kilns differ at a fundamental level, by the way, as do
factories and clamp sites. I dug a few clamps a while back and don't recommend
it for casual amusement. We excavated the whole footprint of the thing (s),
and I would say that we could have learned just as much by sampling a few
squares. More interesting is the arrangement if work spaces outside. There
are, by the way, some could ethongraphic studies of brick making in Mexico and
South America that are pertinent --but I can't recall the titles.....

Carl Steen