From:
David Eyre <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 22:09:24 -0400
Date sent:              Tue, 16 Jun 1998 14:27:11 -0400
Send reply to:          Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology
From:                   Lloyd Spear <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Summer splits
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> to get them to build more foundation.
> Be certain to wait for 24 hours after moving before introducing your new
> queen cage.  This is not strictly necessary as she will be caged, but is
> still a good idea.

Can't say I agree with this statement. We certainly don't wait 24 hours, that's
too time consuming. We now add the queen as soon as we make up the split
or nuc. It only takes a few hours for the hive to note they're queenless but up to
48 hours plus before they release the new queen by which time she's really
welcomed.

The Bee Works, 9 Progress Drive, Unit 2,
Orillia, ON, Canada.
Phone- 705-326 7171.  Fax 705 325 3461.
North American agents. E.H.Thorne(UK)Ltd.
Ventilated Hives and Equipment
David Eyre... Owner
http:\\www.muskoka.net\~beeworks