From:
David Gaida <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:39:42 -0400
We have a beekeeper in our local club that has a problem.  All the
suggestions we have made seem to not be the answer.  Any help out there for
this one?

Diane has 4 hives.  Treated 2 hives in the spring for mites, AFB and
nosema.  (Grease patties, Terramycin, Fumidil)  These two hives each
swarmed.  She caught the swarms and now has 4.  All four hives appear to be
healthy.  Eggs, larvae and pupae at all stages.  Good brood patterns.  No
holes in capped brood.  No stringyness on toothpick test.

Grease patties with terramycin were placed in each hive approximately two
weeks ago.  Mineral oil stripe was placed on top of each brood frame.  1 to
1 sugar syrup was put in each hive one week ago.  (Kentucky, USA is in the
middle of a drought)  Goldenrod and aster is now in bloom.

The problem is a "nasty" smell coming from the hives.  Diane says the smell
is not as bad as rotten meat but definitely not pleasant.  She took all the
boxes off and examined each.  The smell seems to be strongest in the honey
or bee's food box.  Any ideas?

THANK YOU ALL for the help on the larvae discard problem.  After Joe
examined his hives it appears that the bees were starving even though they
had honey.  Apparently not enough moisture?  He put on sugar syrup and all
seems to be a little better, more activity and no more discards, YET.
Thanks, again.

I appreciate your time.

Judy