From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Sep 1998 08:10:46 EDT
It is becomming quite in vogue to overwinter small nucleus hives atop
strong, healthy established hives.  I have followed the articles in
ABJ written by Kirk Webster and last year had mixed success wintering
4-deep-frame nucs, two per brood chamber.  The nucs were separated by a
specially designed feeder which split the deep brood chamber into two
distinct and separate sections.

Now, I have seen nothing in any of my text books discussing this method.
The first time I heard mention of overwintering small nucs was when I heard
Kirk speak at a summer meeting of the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers
Association.  Up to that point I had always strived to have big hives with
plenty of winter stores (at least 70 lbs in my climate) and large populations
of health bees.  I was somewhat skeptical that small nucleus hives would even
be able to make it through the winter.  However, many beekeepers are
advocating fall nucs to have ready for the following spring.  Most notably
on this list has been David Eyre.

As I already stated, last year I had mixed success with this strategy
attempting to overwinter four nucs, succeeding with two.  I have already
made preparations to try again - signed up for more classes at the school
of hard knocks.  I have set up ten nucs as described above (4-frame nucs,
two per brood box separated by the feeder) for this year's attempt.

What I am pondering follows.  I currently have a number of small hives
which were in comb honey production this summer.  Some of these hives
are single medium brood chamber hives, some deep.  All are quite strong
after harvesting the Ross Round comb section supers.  In years past I would
combine these small hives with other hives to consolidate the bees for
overwintering, usually on Labor Day weekend (this weekend).  However,
I am wondering if these single bodied hives might successfully overwinter
atop established hives akin to the manner in which some beekeepers are
overwintering nucs.

Any thoughts?

Aaron Morris - thinking ahead to next spring!