From:
Rett Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:16:20 -0600
The list seemed a little slow this morning so I thought I would take
advantage and post a quick question to everyone.

Based on advice from wise members on Bee-L I have decided to requeen my
both of my two year old hives, however with exception of the day I
installed my packages I have never seen the queens.  Not that I haven't
looked.  I have looked many times.  I always see signs of the queen, but
never the queen.

I have read that you can put a new queen into the hive in her cage and
in a day of two the workers will free her.  When she and the old queen
meet there is a fight to the death, and the young Strong queen will be
the victor.

This method seems to be a bit of a gamble.  How do you know the workers
will free and accept her?  And if they do, how sure can you be that she
will win this fight?

I'm wondering if there are any better methods of introducing a new queen
without first killing the old one?

Thanks for any replies
Rett Thorpe
Salt Lake City,  Utah
2nd year, two hives

Following the advice of wise members on the list I have decided to
requeen this week, but I have a slight problem or