Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 1998 12:52:01 GMT+0200
Hi John and All

You mention that you wish to bleach wax with peroxide and are looking
for a supplier.

40% peroxide is a dangerous mixture (as it contains a lot of easily
liberate oxygen and if mixed with a flammable substance, like wax it
could be almost explosive.)

I suspect you want what is called 40 volume hydrogen peroxide. This
is a solution easily obtainable from your local chemist, or if not
available there I am sure a nearby school would be willing to give
you some in return for a talk on bees.

If you mix the wax and peroxide and then leave in the sun (or under a
UV tube) it will work better. Basically the peroxide will liberate
free radicals that destroy everything including the colour compounds
in your wax.

Another thing that does bleach wax is phosphoric acid, but this is a
very dangerous chemical (goes through the skin and dissolves your
bones).  (I used it once for preparing samples for analysis)

Hope this helps

Garth

Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)