From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:19:39 EST
The following submission to BEE-L was edited to remove excessive quoting
of previously posted material.

------------------ Original message (ID=67DBA9) (83 lines) --------------------
From: [log in to unmask] (Andreas Schuck Scheidhauer)
To: "Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology"
Subject: RE:      Artificial Insemination
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 21:34:57 -0400

Hi,

instrumental insemination is very useful if you will improve your stocks.
The best equipment avaiable is the SCHLEY (Germany). Besides the instrument
itself you need a stereo microscope, CO2 bottle, and a lot of little stuff.

Susan Cobey at the Ohio State University gives courses where you can learn
how to do it. ([log in to unmask]).  A student from the Ohio State U. designed
an instrument ("Latcham", I guess). It works fine too, and is cheaper then
the Schley one. It depends on how much you will spend for an equipment.

I inseminate regularly. It is not so difficult as it seems to be. But the
extraction from the drones semen is a dirty job if you don't like to kill
beings with the same right to live on this earth as we have.

As in Chile it is forbiden to import queens from other countries, inseminate
queens is a must be to make all this genetic improvement stuff. Although it
is interesting (specially the results), this drone killing story makes me
sick.

If you need some addresses don't hesitate to write me.

Good luck,
Andreas
http://www.colmenaressuizos.co.cl