Date:
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:49:00 GMT+0200
Hi All

In our lab we have some interesting work being done on membranes.

A traditional membrane foulds because the downward pressure on it
basically just forces little globs that cant get through to block the
pores.

 o  o  o            Golobs
 -  -  -  -  -  -  membrane

-o-o-o--- result with downward pressure.

If however you build a filter which is tubular, consisting of a long
tube which has flow along it, or pressure downwards on it, the flow
dislodges the particles.

Hence if you have a tube, the downward flow will dislodge jams into
the membrane/filter and you get better filtration.

Breweries commonly use such filtration, as do fruit juice producers
who use clarified grape juice as a base.

A small scale system such as this could be made by taking a plastic
cloths basket, filling the inside with your strainer and then placing
the whole thing in a barrel - if honey is poured into it the honey
strains out.

I have built a system like this in a large drum, and have painted the
drum black. On top of this I place a seal (as in something to stop
other things getting in, not the little mammal - not sure which is
spelt which way?, and then leave it in a sunny spot.

After about four hours it proccesses a full 'load' which for me is
ten supers.

As out drought ends I plan to build more of these as they definitely
speed things up, and I pay nothing for using the sun - something we
have a lot of here in South Africa.

Hope this helps

Keep well

Garth
Garth Cambray           Camdini Apiaries
Grahamstown             Apis mellifera capensis
Eastern Cape Prov.
South Africa

Time = Honey

After careful consideration, I have decided that if I am ever a V.I.P
the I. may not stand for important.
(rather influential, ignorant, idiotic, intelectual, illadvised etc)