From:
Bill Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:05:13 -0400
This poem was forwarded to me.  I thought it was appropriate
for this list.

billy bee

End Notes for a Small History
Betty Lies
"Southern Poetry Review"
Summer 1998 Vol. XXXVlll
No. 1 page 33

When the last bee died,
nobody noticed.  Nobody put on black
or made a dirge for the death
of honey.  Nobody wrote an elegy
to apricots, no one mourned for cherries.

When the last bee died,
everyone was busy.  They had things to do,
drove straight to work each morning,
straight back home each night.  The roads
all seriously hummed.  Besides,

the pantries were still packed
with cans of fruit cocktail in heavy srup,
deep deep freezers full
of concentrated grape and orange juice,
stores stocked with artificial flavoring.

When the last bee died, nobody saw
the poppies winking out, nobody cried
for burdock, yarrow, wild delphinium.
Now and again a child would ask for
dandelions, quickly shushed:  That pest!

And everyone is fine.  The children healthy,
radish-cheeked.  They play she love me/not
with Savoy cabbage leaves, enjoy the telling
of the great myths, peach and peony.
No one believes in apples any more.