From:
Tony Dixon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 17:35:05 -0700
>t I think I saw a sign about 1 mile from the dock which said something
like, "No movement of honey
>bees beyond this point."  Was that right, and if so, can someone tell me

Yes you did read it correctly. Vancouver Island was embargoed for honey bees
because the Island was mite free and it was believed that by stopping the
movement of bees and bee equipment onto the Island it could stay that way.
This last year Varroa has made it here, probably on a vehicle or in freight.
I hope not because of a thoughtless beekeeper. We now are learning to use
Apistan like everyone else. Some testing has been going on to determine if
Tracheal mites have also arrived, if so they are not generally distributed yet.

Despite all counter measures our Governments can devise, and in this case a
20 mile water barrier, mites still spread.