From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 20:28:01 -0700
At 10:19 PM 7/16/98 -0400, you wrote:
>It has become necessary for me to immediately move one of my hives to
>another yard. My problem is that there is a large cluster of bees on the
>landing board and adjacent area every night. Does anyone have a method of
>moving hives such as this while retaining the exterior cluster ?

Get an early start, take a clean garden sprayer and extra water. Gently
spray the bees on the outside of the hive, repeat as necessary until they
go in. Save some water to spray them before unloading. You still will need
to smoke them but they should be able to use the water to cool the hive
enough to not hang out on the porch. This also works to some extent with
bees that are aggressive in the heat and you want to inspect them.