From:
Ted Fischer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 12:28:39 -0400
Robert J. Cessac wrote:

> Can someone tell what is the best distance beehives should be spaced in
> an apiary?  I plan to have 24 hives.  Should they be all in a straight
> line, two 12 hive lines or four 6 hive lines?  How far apart when in
> line and how far apart between lines?

I have always heard the conventional wisdom that the hives should be
irregularly spaced and not in a straight line, because of the increased
tendency to drift to the end hives.  However, in two of my yards, it is
impossible to do this because they must be placed at the edge of a field
and inside the fence line.  Therefore the layout dictates that they must
be in a straight line, and because I cannot just drive onto crops in the
farmer's field, I placed the hives as closely together as possible to
save steps.  These two yards are by far my best producers, with every
hive (12 or 13 per yard) packed with bees.  I cannot tell that there is
any drifting at all, or if so, drifting from one hive is made up by
drifting from others.  The only problem I have is that I have to work
the hives either from the back alone (preferred) or from the front
alone, since there are only about 6 inches between hives.

My other yards have hives irregularly arranged.  They do not do badly
either, and are far more easy to work because of more work room.  So
what I am saying, is that in my opinion it does not matter how the hives
are arranged.  Whatever works out best for you is OK.

Ted Fischer
Dexter, Michigan USA