HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rick Affleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 08:31:51 -0400
I read an article in the local (NJ) paper some years ago about
Eugene Genovese's firm embrace of Catholicism--and not the
"liberal activist wing of that faith, but the old-time partriarchal, boys
only latin-service branch. He explained the seeming incongruity by
stating that for him Marxism was an inherently conservative
philosophy, by which he seems to have meant the entrenched
Soviet world view and its disdain for dissidents of any stripe.
Needless to say, it was a very disturbing piece.

I find the recent postings here equally disturbing in regard to E F-G.
 I can't agree with those who see the seeds of her current
moonlight-and-magnolias view in her Plantation Households book.
To me, that was a sensitive treatment of a complex subject--adding
gender relations (inter- and intra-) to the mix of status, class, and
race. So, to read about her recent behavior set off some real alarm
bells. Say it ain't so, Liz.

Rick Affleck