HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gail Frace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 11:36:49 -0400
     Greetings,

     We recently have a problem with materials washed by the field crew and
     not given sufficient time to dry before being rebagged.  By the time
     most of the materials reached the main lab, they had grown mold.

     We do not want to introduce mold spores into the storage facility in
     which these materials will permanently reside.  Our object
     conservator, who has worked with many archaeological collections, has
     suggested an ethanol and water solution which will kill the mold
     spores; however, the project archaeologist has concerns that the use
     of this solution could cause problems with future analysis of the
     animal bone.  Is anyone on the list familiar with a known analytical
     procedure for which the use of an ethanol solution could cause
     problems?  If so, would you please contact me off list with the
     information.

     Thanking you,

     Gail Frace