HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 15:01:37 -0400
Greetings Bead Researchers! The Color Harmony Manual that was asked about has
long been out of print. There were never too many copies around to begin with so
the publisher produced a booklet which listed the owners. I have a copy if you
would like me to send you the names of some universities/organizations that had
copies 25 years ago.

The ISCC/NBS (Inter-Society Color Council and National Bureau of Standards)
Color Centroid Charts (Kelly and Judd 1976) mentioned in a previous posting are
also out of print and really not as thorough. But you are in luck as there is
another alternative:

PANTONE Textile Color Guide - Paper Edition.

     Pantone, Inc. 590 Commerce Boulevard, Carlstadt, NJ 07072-3098. 1992.
     1,701 color swatches, index. $99.00 (paper fan deck). tel: 201-935-5500;
     fax: 201-935-3338. They do not sell direct but will give you the name and
     address of the nearest retailer.

(The following is an excerpt from my review of this guide which appears in full

in BEADS vol. 7, 1995):

     Pantone, Inc., produces a number of color guides and selectors in various

formats but the one with the greatest potential for the bead researcher is the

PANTONE Textile Color Guide - Paper Edition. This is in the form of a paper fan

deck which displays 1,701 color swatches, seven per page and each with its name

in six languages plus the Pantone reference number. While the reference numbers

are quite clear, the names are on the borderline of readability. There is no

introductory text to speak of (unlike The PANTONE Book of Color), and the index

is arranged by color reference number and not the color name (as in the book).

The color swatches are arranged in three groups: 1) Clean and Bright Colors; 2)

Muted and Dull Colors; and 3) Earth Tones, Gray Tones, Off-Whites and Specialty

Colors. Consequently, one has to check all three sections to make sure all the

possibilities have been covered.

     How does the coverage of the Pantone color fan compare with the other color

charts?  A quick tally reveals that my copy of the Munsell Book of Color, Glossy

Finish Collection contains 1,553 enamelled plastic color chips, the Color

Harmony Manual contains around 947 larger chips, while the Centroid Color Charts

contain less than 500 swatches. Thus, with 1,701 swatches, the Pantone fan

exceeds even the Munsell book's coverage.  At one-fifth the price, the PANTONE

Textile Color Guide - Paper Edition is what might be termed a "best buy."  The

PANTONE Book of Color is recommended for its introductory text which will allow

researchers to better understand color concepts and how colors are perceived by

different cultures.

Happy sorting!