HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 13:25:35 -0600
In an attempt to add a little humor (and that is all that is intended)  to
an otherwise dull thread. However well I agree that current academic
discourse is boring and nonsensical to most humans. In my opinion many
academics cannot write and spend an inordinate amount of time trying to
coin some  term that is just as obscure and practically meaningless as the
term trying to be rewritten.  Any way  Michael wrote:

"I realize for those on the left side of the pond that it may be a tad
difficult to find, but if you are near a good anthropology library try to
get a hold of it."

Michael supposes we all know which is his base direction ( here I assume
Michael denotes a male-could be wrong). Assuming the base direction is
North his commentary on geography would be correct unless of course the
reference was political. With that I would take umbrage.  However, if the
comment was not political and if we turned and faced South then "they"
would be on the left side of the pond. Precisely the point, in that we
often have no idea of which direction an academic is coming from, going, or
facing. Lets hear it for clear writing!

By the way there are no "good anthropology" libraries in Wyoming. The
nearest real library is over 500 miles away. So it is unlikely that we
would have access to a rather obscure Scottish Journal. The local library
idea of interlibrary loan is trying to get back issues of Martha Stewart.

James E. Chase
Cody, Wyoming
307-587-2216

The opinions expressed are entirely my own and do not represent my employer
unless explicitly stated.