HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Pat Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:07:58 +0000
The Heritage Panel of Epsom and Ewell District Council is attempting to
change listed building law to enable historic pub names to be listed.

Ww would not wish, of course, to see a public house fail to thrive, and
thereby necessitate a change of useage, by saying that 'The Blue Ball'
could not be reinvented as the 'Flasher and Firkin', any more than we
would wish the same pub fail to thrive because it was not allowed to
replace it's sash windows with plastic double glazing. Nevertheless the
names of pubs can contribute as much to the cultural heritage as sash
windows do the built heritage, and therefore deserve as much protection.
Perhaps even more protection: there seems to be more appreciation for
names than there is for architectural features, among the general
population, and it is the old name which, for them, gives the building
its significance and makes it worth of protection.

In message <[log in to unmask]>, Automatic digest processor
<[log in to unmask]> writes

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)