HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Vergil Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 08:51:39 -0500
     Bill Hunt at my office uses Harris matrix stratigraphic analysis
     frequently and employs the software noted in his message below.  He
     can be reached at [log in to unmask] if anyone has questions about its
     usefulness.  Bill replied directly to Geoff, but I thought that others
     on the list might find the information valuable.

     VENoble
     Midwest Arch Center, NPS

Author:  Bill Hunt at NP-MWAC
Date:    1/5/98 8:42 AM

     Regarding Harris matrix software - see the Internet at:

     http://wings.buffalo.edu/academic/department/anthropology/BASP/basp.ht
     ml

     This is the web page for the The Bonn Archaeological Software Package
     (BASP).  As the description on that page states, this "is a
     non-commercial, non-profit software project for and by archaeologists
     which has been developed cooperatively since 1973. It now includes more
     than 60 functions for seriation, clustering, correspondance analysis,
     and other tools for archaeologists working with IBM compatible PC's
     under DOS and Windows."  We are successfully using the software for
     developing complex matrices here at MWAC and I encourage you to try it
     as well.  It is cheap, only $50, is available in a number of languages
     (including German; in fact, it was developed in Germany), and contains
     many useful programs along with theoretical discussions of each
     program.