HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Robin O. Mills" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 11:42:00 -0800
Megan Springate wrote:
>Recently, on a field school excavation in Ontario, students recovered a
> small heart-shaped piece of iron that had two triangular points or
> "clips", one on each side.
> Similar items have been recovered in late-19th century and early-20th
> century contexts in excavations at Dundurn Castle, Hamilton, Ontario.
>Initially, the items from Dundurn had been identified as badges, or pins, or so
me sort of commemorative token.
> At a recent conference that the artifact analyst attended, these bits
> were referred to as "tobacco markers". Apparently, a block of tobacco
> (uncertain whether it was smoking or chewing tobacco) was wrapped in
> paper, and then tied with ribbon. The sharp "clips" or tines of the
> tobacco tokens would then stick into the ribbon, securing them onto the packag
e. The shape of the marker indicated the tobacco manufacturer

> Now, here's the kicker. The presenter had no source for the above
> information. Does anyone on the list have information regarding the use of the
se "clips", either as tobacco markers or otherwise? Oral histories, published so
urces... anything???

> Cheers,
> Megan Springate

Megan and HISTARCH,
        I first uncovered similar artifacts in early 20th century mining towns
here in interior Alaska in 1994, the first year of excavations at such
sites which have continued annually since that time.  I too was at first
a bit perplexed by these items, until I was informed that they served
the purpose of "clipping" together the seal on a paper-wrapped plug of
tobacco.  Since 1994, we have found a vareity of these sealers (all with
the ubiquitous 2 small triangular "clips" you mention in your query),
including most frequently a rectangular stamp-sized type with an
embossed profile of a horse (R.A. Patterson Tobacco Co., Richmond, VA),
as well as star-shaped and circular varieties (companies unknown).
        Like you, I have no reference (beyond oral communication), and would
appreciate any help provided by other HISTARCH readers.

Best regards,

Robin Mills
University of Alaska Fairbanks