HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"C. Jane Cox" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jun 1997 11:35:08 -0400
>I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether SHPOs in other states
> have undertaken projects like this and how useful (or frustrating) the
> results have been. We are putting the information into Integrated
> Preservation Software (IPS), which was a  system designed for the
> National Park Services back in the dark ages (it is actually DOS-based!),
> so I am also curious what software others have used

The Maryland Historical Trust has been working on a GIS for a few years
now using MIPS (Map and Imaging Software) which provides a database for
Maryland sites, (architectural, archaeological sites and surveys, and
easements). They are in the process of developing a policy for sharing
this information with professionals. If you wanted more information on the
system, contact Maureen Kavanaugh at the MHT.

In reference to the IPS
I worked on a project which involved translating information provided to
me in IPS, to a more widely available commercial GIS platform (Arc/View,
Arc/Info). It was darn near impossible to extract that information. John
Buckler at University of Maryland/College Park, finally figured it out,
but it requirted a lot of work I understand.

This brings up a real problem as everyone gets onto the computerized
database bandwagon. The ability to share and apply the information that is
out there being tediously entered into these systems.

Hopefully, before things get to advanced, we can develop metadata
standards to assure that information can be compatible with the many
systems out there.

C. Jane Cox
Lost Towns Project
Anne Arundel County