HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Lee Bennett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 May 2001 08:36:49 +0000
Sean,

I've found re occupancy of pioneer buildings a common
feature of the Pacific Northwest.  At one site in Idaho, for
example, one log cabin was originally built by a freighter
for his convenience when packing supplies to mining camps
(ca 1860-1890s).  The same cabin was later used by the
Territorial legislature as a temporary meeting house for
that part of the state.  Then, as farmers moved into the
valley, the cabin was used serially by families while they
constructed their home on their own place.  It is now a
park.

Some restoration work was done on the cabin many years ago,
but to my knowledge, no one did any archaeology at the time.
 So although I can provide this occupational history, there
are no archaeological patterns to accompany it.

Lee Bennett
Bennett Management Services LLC
Monticello, Utah